The Ventris Dual Reverb was a monumentally ambitious project. The 2016 release of the Nemesis Delay introduced an engineering plateau for Source Audio, but the Ventris Dual Reverb takes guitar effects engineering to new heights. This supremely intelligent pedal features two completely independent reverb processors, essentially housing a perfect pair of high-powered reverb pedals in a single box. It is the Ventris Dual Reverb’s powerful dual processing that sets the pedal apart from its predecessors and introduces a forward leap in sound quality and function. Why?
Dual Reverb Effects: The power to combine two reverb engines truly expands the ambient possibilities and unleashes the creative mind.
True Spillover: Seamless and unlimited “spillover” from one preset to the next is an enormous advantage in live situations. There are no limitations in terms of reverb type or the duration of the transition.
Massive Processing Power: Dual processing eliminates bloated all-in-one reverb programs. Instead of being forced to allocate 5% of the processing power to something vital and complex like the True Spring reverb, we can now dedicate 100% of the processor, opening the door to a new frontier of realism and sonic exploration.
Source Audio’s two man engineering team of Bob Chidlaw and Jesse Remignanti took extreme care in crafting the Ventris Reverb’s exceptionally spacious tones, covering all the bases from beautifully natural reverberations to haunting “unnatural” tones. The Ventris Dual Reverb includes 12 onboard reverb engines as well as an ever-expanding collection of reverb effects available via the Neuro Mobile App or Neuro Desktop Editor.
The True Spring engine takes full advantage of the Ventris Dual Reverb’s immense processing might, perfectly capturing the unmistakable “drip” of vintage spring reverb tanks. It was a massive undertaking, requiring a deep understanding of the physical characteristics of reverb springs, advanced experience in sound design, and exceptional processing power. Chief Scientist Bob Chidlaw drew upon all his knowledge and experience in the creation of the True Spring engine, from his days as head engineer at Kurzweil to the creation of Source Audio’s Soundblox 2 Dimension Reverb. The result is an exceptionally realistic sound that flawlessly captures all the subtleties and idiosyncrasies of classic spring reverb equipped amplifiers.
In addition to the True Spring engine, the Ventris delivers a comprehensive collection of perennial reverb favorites. The Plate reverb engine has the marvelously lush and diffuse effect found in classic plate fixtures from the late 1950s. There are also excellent simulations of natural acoustic spaces - choose from a range of room sizes starting with the warm and tight subtleties of the Room engine and advancing to the expansive reverberations of the gargantuan E-Dome. Finally, the Hall engine captures the lush sounds of high-powered Lexicon rack units from the 1980s.
The Ventris also offers a fantastic collection of unnatural reverb effects. The Swell engine creates a reverb volume swell for gradually emerging pads of sound. Shimmer mixes in two pitch-shifting reverberations, adding a touch of angelic or demonic sheen. Reverse turns the verb around for a chilling and dramatic backmasking effect. The Offspring engine resurrects the forgotten “Laserverb” effect from early Kurzweil rack units — it is a unique retro-futuristic sound that conjures images of sci-fi battles from a galaxy far, far away.
The Ventris Dual Reverb also features a long list of mandatory control functions and introduces some bold new ones. The A+B toggle switch makes it super-easy to select between the pedal’s two signal processors or combine them into entirely unique dual reverb effects. Stereo Inputs and Outputs provide a mega-wide stereo spread for larger-than-life ambience. The OPTION Footswitch offers a variety of hands-free control options including preset scrolling, A to B processor toggling, reverb hold, runaway reverb, and tap tempo. The Ventris also features 8 onboard presets, full MIDI functionality (extending the preset number to 128), expression control, external preset switching, and more.
Finally the Ventris is compatible with the Neuro Desktop Editor and Mobile App. Connect the Ventris Dual Reverb to either of our Neuro Editors and choose from an expanding palette of additional reverb types. Use the Neuro’s advanced set of deep editing parameters to create highly customized reverb effects. Easily burn your edited tones directly to the any of the Ventris’s effect selector positions or to one of its 128 preset slots.
- ROOM: Captures the ambient reverberations of a moderately sized, natural acoustic space. This reverb’s warm and intimate vibe is the perfect option for summoning subtle hints of space.
- HALL L: Patterned after the lush sounds of powerful Lexicon rack units from the 80s and 90s. The Hall L reverb is distinguished by its glorious blooming characteristic combined with a highly diffuse trail.
- E-DOME: The cavernous E-DOME (a.k.a. “Enormo-Dome”) produces long, lush reverb trails that linger for days. Invoke the sound of massive arena settings with the Ventris Reverb’s largest room simulation. This one is huuuuge.
- TRUE SPRING: Source Audio’s Chief Scientist, Bob Chidlaw, worked long and hard to perfectly capture the sweet idiosyncrasies of a vintage spring reverb tank. The result is an exceptionally realistic effect with the unmistakable “drip” heard in vintage spring reverb equipped amplifiers.
- PLATE: A meticulously crafted simulation the highly diffuse reverb synonymous with vintage plate reverb units. Basically it replicates the sound created by blasting audio into the face of a large plate of suspended sheet metal.
- LO-FI: This reverb effect turns the lush and grandiose effect of reverb on its head and embraces destructive elements like distortion, oversaturation and even sample rate reduction. Turn up the ugly and add a crashing wave of mutilation to your sound.
- MODVERB: This modulating effect is an ambient combination of reverb and tremolo. Apply varying degrees of tremolo to your dry signal, your wet signal, or both.
- SHIMMER: Summon a vast range of beautiful or sinister reflections with this dual pitch shifting reverb engine. Choose from a variety of popular pitch intervals with the Ventris Reverb”s onboard controls or dive into the Neuro Editor and select any pitch combination that meets your need.
- SWELL: Conjure lush reverb pads with this dramatic volume swell effect. For highly ambient reverb swells, try setting your MIX knob to 100% wet.
- OFFSPRING: Patterned after an effect known as “Laserverb” from Kurtzwiel rack units of the 1980s, this unique sound falls somewhere between an angel’s harp and a retro-futuristic sci-fi flick. Call it what you want, it’s an amazing and thoroughly unique effect that could not be left off the pedal.
- REVERSE: Create chilling and dramatic backmasking effects with this haunting reverb engine. Set the MIX knob to 100% wet for a menacing sound surge or mix it with the dry signal for an unnerving shadow effect.
- Over 20 Reverb Engines — Ventris features 12 onboard reverb engines accessible via the center selector wheel, plus an expanding collection of reverb engines available via the Neuro Desktop Editor and Mobile App.
- 128 Presets — Save up to eight presets accessible via the onboard controls or save up to 128 presets recallable with MIDI program change (PC) messages.
- Dual Reverb Processing — The Ventris Dual Reverb features two independent signal processors giving the pedal essential features like preset spillover and dual reverb effects.
- True Spillover — Two individual signal processors make it possible to change from one preset to another without abruptly cutting off the reverb tail of the original preset (Note: Spillover is unavailable when creating simultaneous dual reverb effects (A+B on the toggle switch)).
- Simultaneous Reverb Processing — Select the A + B toggle switch position and create dual reverb effects. Run two reverbs simultaneously in parallel, series, or left/right signal paths.
- Selectable Footswitch — Choose from a variety of OPTION Footswitch assignments. Control options include preset scrolling, A to B or A plus B reverb toggling, reverb hold, runaway reverb, and tap tempo.
- Hold (a.k.a. “Freeze”) Control — Use the OPTION switch to hold a small portion of the reverb tail in a continuous loop, essentially sustaining a note or chord until the footswitch is released. While the Hold function is engaged it is possible to play over the top of the loop with either a dry signal or the dry/wet signal from the second reverb processor.
- Runaway Reverb — Similar to the Hold function, the Runaway Reverb uses the OPTION switch to loop a small portion of the reverb trail. But rather than maintaining a steady sustain, the loop is feed back into the reverb processor, creating a building self-oscillation effect.
- A to B Reverb Toggling — Bruk OPTION-bryteren til å skifte mellom presets, eller bruk den til å bytte fra en enkelt reverb til reverb (A + B.)
Stereo Input and Output Jacks — Create dramatic stereo reverb effects or set up an external effects loop.
- Analog Dry Through — For most of the reverb engines and signal routing options the dry signal remains an analog signal and does not pass through the signal processor at any stage while the pedal in engaged.
- Deep Editing Functionality — Adjust additional parameters, save and share personal presets, and download bonus reverb engines with the Neuro Desktop Editor or Mobile App. (Check the Neuro tab for more details).
- Complete MIDI Functionally — Receives MIDI program change (PC), continuous controller (CC), or MIDI clock messages via the 5-pin MIDI DIN Input (also includes a MIDI Thru jack), the USB port, or in conjunction with the Neuro Hub.
- Universal Bypass — Select either buffered or true bypass.
Trails Mode - Rather than abruptly cutting off the reverb trails upon bypassing the effect, Trails Mode allows the Ventris Reverb’s trails to decay naturally.
- Expression Control — Assign expression control to any combination of knobs and program the depth and direction of each. Compatible with all Source Audio expression pedals, the Hot Hand 3 Universal Wireless Effects Controller, and 3rd party 1/4” TRS (tip hot) expression pedals.
- External Switching Capabilities — Choose from a variety of external control options with an external 1/4” TRS (tip hot) footswitch. Control options include preset scrolling, hold, runaway, tap tempo, and processor toggling.
Neuro Editor Features
Connect the Ventris Dual Reverb to the Neuro Desktop Editor or the Neuro Mobile App and explore the power of effect downloading, customization, and sharing that comes with every Source Audio One Series pedal. The Neuro Desktop Editor is a free downloads for Windows and Mac computers. The Neuro Mobile App is a free download for iOS and Android mobile devices (download instructions below).
- Free Effects Downloads — Access a growing library of additional effect engines. Edit those engines and burn them to any position on the effect selector or any of the pedal’s 128 presets.
- Customize Effects — Make deep editing changes with the Neuro Editor’s huge collection of additional parameters.
Save and Share Customized Presets — Fine tune your reverb effect, then save it to your personal effects library and easily share it with the growing community of Neuro users.
- Download Presets — Explore Source Audio’s ever-expanding, library of free effect presets.
- Simple Connection — The Neuro Mobile App. connects with the Ventris Dual Reverb via the mobile device’s headphone jack and stereo Input 2 on the pedal. A Neuro App connector cable (1/8” to 1/4”) is included with the pedal. The Neuro Desktop Editor connects to your computer via the mini USB port on the top of the pedal.
- Join the Neuro Community — Visit the Web tab on the Neuro Mobile App or the Neuro Collective page on the Source Audio website and download from the ever expanding library of Ventris Reverb presets created by other Neuro Community members.
- Preset Saving / Program Change (PC) Messages — Save up to 128 effect presets recallable with MIDI PC messages.
- MIDI Clock — Sync your pre-delay or modulation time with external MIDI clock messages.
- MIDI Continuous Controller (CC) Messages — Control individual parameters or specific pedal functions with MIDI CC messages. Accepts multiple CC messages simultaneously (the number of possible simultaneous CC messages varies depending on the message complexity)
- 5-Pin MIDI DIN Ports — Send MIDI program change (PC), continuous controller (CC), and clock messages to the Ventris via its MIDI IN jack. Pass MIDI messages on to other pedals with the MIDI THRU jack.
- USB Port — Send MIDI program change, continuous controller, and clock messages to Ventris via its USB port.
- Neuro Hub — Connect the Ventris to the Neuro Hub and send receive MIDI messages via the pedal’s 1/8” Control Input.